Visit regularly for the latest updates each week.

Children are not vessels to be filled but lamps to be lit.
- Swami Chinmayananda
_________________________________________________

Please select your child's session and grade
from the list on the right side for the latest updates




Apr 28, 2024 - JCHYK Gr. 10-12 (Sunday AM)

Hari om everyone, 


Here's a quick synopsis of our class this week - 

Started class with meditation and Chapter 4 Geeta chanting.  

The Kyun Kyun (QQ - Quirky Question) of the day was - There are oceans but no water; there are shores but no sand; there are towns but no people and there are mountains but no land! Who am I? 

The students couldn't arrive at the answer.  So, we said - I am a map (or) a globe!

How so?  A map/globe does have oceans, shores, mountains, and towns.  All are only indicated on the map/globe but are not physically present there.  

What is the relevance of this question?  Just as a map, shaastras have a road map for us on how life should be led.  Hence, just as we need a map from the beginning of the journey till the end, we need the guidance of the shaastras.  The knowledge in the shaastras is not directly visible or perceivable to a common man. They will give us pointers like a map.  Interpreting and understanding them is not easy.  We arrive at the meanings of shaastras with the help of our gurus. 

We wrapped up Ch. 14 and started discussing Ch. 15.  Comprising only 20 verses, this chapter is very important because Krishna summarizes the ENTIRE VEDAANTA SHAASTRA in a nutshell here.  He had told these points in Ch. 2 already.  But Arjuna had many doubts.  So, the conversation had continued.  

Krishna said the tree of samsaara is like an upside down tree where the ariel roots are dropping back towards the ground.  This tree shall keep on growing and the growth of this tree stunts my personal growth.  I need to understand the impermanency of this world and cut my bondages from the very roots...

While discussing this, we asked, so, who wrote Vedaanta?

Student: Oh! Vedantaananda! 
We: Excuse me... :). No!  Because you know Swami Shantananda, you can't come up with a Vedantaananda now!! Emoji
They: Oh.., no no.., Veda Vyaasa! 
We:  Ahhh, now you are talking... But you are still not right :) 
We:  Before we answer that please tell us - who wrote gravity?  
They: Aunty, nobody can write gravity.  Newton just discovered it!
We:  Aaaaha!  Yes.  So is Vedaanta.  The principles of Vedanta are already existent.  But then, the rishis (who were scientists of the greatest caliber) perceived them in meditation as they could resonate in different frequencies.  Hence, there is NO SINGLE author for the Vedas.  They are eternal truths that were revealed to the seers! Veda Vyaasa only compiled the Vedas which were already revealed to the seers.  

They:  How do we know that?  
We:  We have to take a leap of faith... Do I know that the earth I'm standing on is not going to run away from me or eat me up?  Of course, I don't.  But I take a leap of faith!  I don't become a doubting Thomas before taking every step.  



I have belief in what my Gurus and shaastras say.  So, I first believe in their words, and then I will understand/experience them myself.  

Our vaasanas keep us in the cycle of birth and death.  To get rid of this sorrow, we have to cut asunder the tree at the very roots.  This breaks the cycle of me going away from my roots, Bhagavaan.  The leaves are the vedas.  The leaves nourish a tree.  Similarly, the Vedas nourish my life.  Later, I use the knowledge learned from the Vedas to attain detachment from this tree of samsaara... 

After several interesting discussions, we ended the class with our 'Unique Statement Review'.  

See you all next week.  

Until then, the MLK Jr. quote (above) is something to ponder upon! 

Regards,
Rashmi and Sirisha.