Visit regularly for the latest updates each week.

Children are not vessels to be filled but lamps to be lit.
- Swami Chinmayananda
_________________________________________________

Please select your child's session and grade
from the list on the right side for the latest updates




May 19, 2024 - JCHYK Gr. 10-12 (Sunday AM)

Hari om everyone, 


Here's the synopsis for this week's class.  Class started with meditation followed by Ch. 4 Geeta Chanting.  

The Kyun Kyun (QQ - Quirky Question) of the day was - When is the ONLY time I can tell a lie?

One said when we have something to hide from our parents.  Another said when I say I'm doing my work but am actually watching YouTube.  Another answer - when I'm afraid I will get yelled at.  

One of them had the right answer - when I know the truth!  Exactly!!  I can't tell a lie unless I know the truth, or it wouldn't be called a lie to begin with :).  

With that, we started discussing divine values.  Truthfulness is one of them.  Without honesty, one cannot go on a quest for truth about oneself! 

We saw that desire is the root cause of all our vices.  Desire shapes our likes and dislikes.  If we don't get what we want, we get angry.  If we get what we want, we get greedy to have more!  If we get what we don't like, then that is a whole other reason for misery!  So, understanding the nature of desire is key.  

We heard the story of Ghengis Khan and his hawk.  We saw how he killed his bird in anger when it was only trying to save his life!  

We heard the story of the Mongoose and the lady.  She had killed her pet mongoose in haste and anger when it had actually protected her baby from a snake!  

One of them asked, 'How do you deal with the fact that you weren't accepted to the college of your choice?  Also, how would you deal if your friend got into your favorite college?'  These are very relevant questions!  

Will not getting accepted make me sad?  Of course, it will.  But, I should not let it bog me down.  I should accept that getting into a college or not does not define me.  I have put in my effort, but could not make it for whatever reason.  I will do my best wherever I am!  

Also, when a friend gets into the college of my choice, it may make me sad initially.  But later, if I am a true friend, I can be happy for him/her.  Friendship is more than jealousy!  When I reason thus with myself, I won't feel bitter about the college situation.  

It was a great discussion overall.  We ended the class with our 'Unique Statement Review'.  

We have sent a separate email regarding the exciting plans for the Movie Mania on June 2nd.  
We need RSVPs via parent waiver forms and potluck sign-ups as well.  Please do so as soon as possible to help us plan an enjoyable event for all our students.  

Looking forward to seeing you all for the off-site Movie Mania on June 2nd.  

Until then, here's something to ponder - 


Regards,
Rashmi and Sirisha.